Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Tale Of Two Fevers, Chapter 2

Here's hoping this is the last chapter of this tale.

Last night, 30 min before bed, Ryan started barking like a seal. Those of you who know what that means know my heart sank thinking I was headed back to the ER for a second night. For those of you who don't know, the barking is from croup, or in this house, a really bad cold settling into an asthmatic's chest.

Luckily, this is not our first seal and we have meds to work with this. I gave Ryan his ventolin and flovent. Nothing. Then, I gave him one more dose of ventolin. I know, I know. Not good to give extra ventolin without being able to check heart rate, but I was desperately trying to stay away from the hospital for a second night in a row. And, my gambled paid off. Within minutes, the barking ceased and breathing rate went back to normal.

Until this morning. The bark is back.

In the past, I have been able to convince a doctor at the walk in clinic to give me a prescription for dex (dexamethasone). Usually one shot of dex is all he needs.

I'm going to give it a few hours, see how he is doing before I head to a walk in. After all, I still have Matthew home, sick. His headache woke him at 6 am, luckily, a dose of motrin helped him back to sleep and is still sleeping at 8:15 am. Unheard of around here. Hoping that is a good sign.

Tis the season for seals and runny noses.

3 comments:

Mrs. Bird said...

Ugh! I'm so sorry :( I hope he feels better soon!

Sue said...

Oh my gosh! How scary!! I just read both posts -- I too thought meningitis right away, and I'm SO glad to hear he'll be OK. Oh, man, you guys have gotten hammered... here's hoping for some recovery on your horizon!

(By the way, thanks for the Fahrenheit translations for those of us who never did catch on to Celsius) :)

Mommy Jo said...

Hi Jo-Ann! THanks for visiting my blog! Please add me to your list. Blush!
I look forward to reading your posts! Lovely boys you have!

Joanne
Kelowna, BC