Blue with a green stripe. That is the color of Matthew's latest cast. I shouldn't be shocked...I knew in my heart this was coming. Even brought the crutches just in case. But I still feel bad. Like maybe I could have done something to stop this. Matthew has taken it all is stride.
Dr. Dobbs was in surgery when we got there so Matthew was seen by his nurse practioner as well as Kristina. Both took one look at him walking and decided a cast was needed.
It took a few hours for Dr. Dobbs to finish up surgery and then to cast all the babies before he could see Matthew's foot. After talking with me, he agreed, Matthew's dorisflexion is quite good this time, but his foot is drifting inwards (MA) and his talus is quite prominant. He felt that a cast would be good to get his foot back into position.
We talked about taping and that Matthew's latest physiotherapist also has a degree in kinesiology. Dr. Dobbs thought that was fantastic. He felt that the taping may do more good if we start right out of casting. He wasn't sure how much or how often, sort of left that up to Steve. He did say that maybe the taping will hold his foot longer then the three months we seem to be getting from a cast.
He did say that he wasn't ready for anything drastic for Matthew. He is pleased with what we are achieving with casts. If the casts were only holding the correction for a few weeks, we would need to discuss other options. That this regression is normal for kids with nerve damage. They don't have the ability to pull their foot to the outside so the muscles keep pulling the foot in. That one day, when he stops growing, it will stop turning.
We fly out early tomorrow morning. And it has been snowing since 1 pm. The shriner's have decided to pick us up earlier then what we had originally decided (6:15 am) just in case the snow is as bad as they say it will be. Crossing my fingers we get out on time, we only have 55 min between flights in Minneapolis.