Sunday, November 23, 2008

Gold Medal

Last week, Matthew's physio therapist wanted me to get him a wedge to stretch. She told me to go to Fitter's, they would be able to direct me to what I needed.

Apparently not.

I found out when we saw her that I had bought the wrong thing. She wrote out in detail what I needed and told me that they would gladly take back what I had purchased. I had a heavy sigh... another trip. Fitter is rather far from me. But seriously, when it comes to our kids, does it matter how far we need to drive?

We made the trek on Saturday. The boys hit the store and had a ball. This is one cool store. I waited patiently for the family in front of us to finish to get service. They were buying their son (about 6 or 7) a wobble board to help with balance so he could become an awesome skateboarder.

K, bad person moment.

I thought MAN!! I want to be them! I want to be there buying something for my kid to enhance his skills so he can rock his buddies at the skateboard park! Instead, I am here buying something to try to slow the regression on my kid's foot to hold off more surgery as long as possible.

I thought some bad words.
But only for a moment.

Then it was my turn. I chatted with the young kid (maybe 20...k, I'm old... that is young) and gave him the specs of what I was looking for. He asked me what I needed it for. I gave him the short version. He seemed unfazed, dug out the item and I called Matthew over. Took off his shoe and had him try it, see if he could use it. Seemed ok, I asked if I could return this too if it turned out to be the wrong thing. He said of course.

He took me to the till to return the first and get the second. Matthew and Ryan and another kid started to play on some of the equipment. The young kid who helped me (another young one was at the til) started to comment on Matthew. He was shocked at how turned Matthew's foot was and was asking me his prognosis. I told him about his surgery last Jan and that he needs more. The guy who was at the til was listening and interested. He looked at the three boys playing. He asked which kid we were talking about. The other guy told him. The til guy looked again and commented... really? The first one said 'yeah, his foot is really twisted'

K, that never feels good. To have some 20 yr old kid be able to see the mess that is Matthew's foot. But for some reason, today, I felt so proud. In fact, I was able for a moment to glimpse into the heart of a mom who's child had just one a gold medal, because that is how I felt. I know, silly. The kids were just jumping around on equipment, but what a win to have some 20 yr old kid not be able to tell that he had a huge problem hiding under his pant leg.

Years ago, a wise teacher told me to take all successes as a teacher and put them on your trophy shelf. Then when you are having a bad day, sit back and look at that shelf and see that you are in fact making a difference. It was powerful to me.

I will put Matthew impressing a 20 yr old kid on his trophy shelf. That one is surely worth a gold medal.

No comments: