Tuesday, February 3, 2009

infertility

I found this in my blog travels today. Infertility/Adoption Essay Contest

I am aware that I am not a writer. I am a scientist by heart. My writing is more like lab results. Precise and to the point, no elaboration at all. But for some reason this tugged at my heart. Not sure why, maybe because we are coming up on March. March was the start of our infertility journey, and somehow it all came full circle when Ryan was born in March, 5 years later.

Infertility never truly leaves you. Pregnant and even with toddler in tow at the bookstore, I would pick up a new infertility book and scan it. Something that profound changes you forever but still for some reason it is not mainstream conversation. It is still a conversation for back rooms and hushed voices. That needs to change.

So, if I do end up writing something, I may post here first, get some feedback first before sending it on.

Of course that all depends on if I can find some time between now and the 18th when the contest closes.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think you have a wonderful way with words! Hope you are able to find the time.

Sue said...

Wow, this is really cool-- what a message to send out. I am a part of this on the other end -- I was adopted as an infant b/c my mom struggled with infertility. They adopted two boys (my older brothers), then had to wait 6 years for me, finishing their family ... or so they thought. A few months after I joined them, she became pregnant with my youngest brother. :) No one knows how, or why -- just a fantastic end.

Best wishes with the contest!

Sara said...

I agree with Jenn, you have a wonderful way with words. I am looking forward to reading your work. :)

Chikki said...

Hehe same here...my background is in bio/chem and when I went to law school I learned how differently we've been taught to write!

But don't analyze too much, just write it (if u have a chance) and then have someone (hubby, friend etc) edit it and give suggestions. Then send it in and forget about it! :-)

My sister in law is undergoing in vitro as we speak (write)...it's an ardous journey with no guarantee of success!