Monday, March 9, 2009


I have been trying to get Matthew's medical file to St Louis so Dr Dobbs can take a look before he sees Matthew. Seems like a normal, simple request, right?


I am getting rather frustrated.

First, I called the hospital here requesting his file. I had to leave a message and then wait to be called back. When I was called back, I was given a new number to call, which of course was the wrong number to call. I was given a third number where I again left another message.

That person did get back to me and was the correct person. However I was told that a file would take 7-8 weeks to get to me. What? I said we have an appointment at the end of the month! Oh, that is different. If another hospital needs the information, they can call this number and request the file to be sent. Yay! Finally something solid!

I called St Louis and tried to find a person there that could call here to request the file. Seems that I did not sign a release paper to allow for that kind of transfer of information. What? I was transferred to another department. Seems that Matthew's file in St Louis states that medical information is not needed. What? She said that was unusual but not uncommon.

I emailed Dr Dobbs nurse asking if that was what he wanted. She emailed me back Friday afternoon that I could email or mail his file. Guess it is needed then. I emailed her back asking if she could request it and sent the phone number I had managed to find. Seeing it was Friday afternoon, it was too late for a reply.

So, here I sit, waiting to find out if she can request this information. And watch the calender. We are going to be there in three weeks.

Other news, Matthew spent most of yesterday hopping around on his right foot. He said his left foot hurt to much to walk on. Uh-oh. That can't be good.


Sweetest Girl in the World said...

Wow... That is so frustrating!! I hope you get the answer you're hoping for today.

And, I'm sorry Matthew's foot is hurting him... I will keep the both of you in my prayers... you to not be overwhelmed and stressed in preparing for your trip and for Matthew to find some relief and answers in St. Louis.

Good luck!

Jennifer said...

{hug} What a lot of run around!
Hope it all gets sorted out soon.
Do you think the pain has to do with the bumps? Hope it isn't anything too serious.

Sara said...

How incredibly frustrating. Hope the file gets sent and all is good for your trip.

Hope his foot feels better too and it isn't something more serious.

Urbane Ones said...

How frustrating!!

I truly dislike red tape...I hope they are quick for you.

Why is it that they can get them out quickly if a hospital needs them and in 7-8 weeks if it's you who needs them??

jenna said...

Hi Jo-ann
JUst a note to say thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you stumbled upon it.
Hang in there with all the hoops you have to jump through. Your profile says it all; things may be difficult right now but will be worth it in the end. Feel free to link to our blog if you like.