Tuesday, March 31, 2009

We are home

We had a rather uneventful trip back, only one plane problem that was only a 30 min delay.

Matthew is doing great and is even learning to walk and yes, run on his cast. It is a sight to see. His leg is cast at a 90 degree angle so he walks on the toe of the cast and hops a bit. Necessity is definitely the mother of invention.

We are both burned out right now. I thought about it, we spent 11 hours in transit on Sunday, 7 hours at the hospital Monday, and 9 hours in transit today. I am looking forward to my bed tonight and looking forward to NOT waking Matthew up in the morning. He can sleep as late as he wants even if it means missing school. Watch, he will be up at 7 am, bright eyed and bushy tailed.

I will upload some photos tomorrow. I need to try and contact the Shriner's and make some new travel plans.

5 comments:

Allie said...

Glad you guys made it home ok and that Dr. Dobbs is going to be able to help Matthew! You must be so relieved!

FindingAnge said...

Rest well tonight! It's funny, whenever the kids need a sleep in, that is when they wake up extra early LOL.

Anonymous said...

SO glad you made it home safely and that Matthew is coping...what a trooper!

Be kind to yourself..(((HUGS)))

Sue said...

Welcome home -- and hooray for both of you!! So glad to hear Matthew's doing well. I can't wait to follow this journey each step of the way and look forward to the end result!

On a practical "been-there" note: just watch his casted foot as he walks on it. Grace did the same thing, which was great, but 2 things happened -- it wore her hip out (the hobbling takes a toll) and she wore out that section of her cast by her big toe, where all the pressure was going. The cast shredded and then started cutting into her toe area. Plus, if you can get in there -- even with a Q-tip or something -- make sure no dirt or grit gets stuck in between the toes. Somehow Grace got a piece of dirt or grit stuck by her big toe, and with all the walking it, it ended up getting really infected and painful.

I'm not saying this to alarm you -- just keep an eye out for it. I would have, had I known! :) Can't wait to see pictures -- stay strong!

(If you need any help or tips with this casting phase just let me know! Although with all you've been through, I'm sure you've seen it all.) :)

Sara said...

Welcome home my friend.