Friday, March 6, 2009

Things aren't always as they seem

On the surface, the kids look like they are dealing well with the news of St Louis. That's on the surface.

Yesterday, Ryan came out of his preschool class in tears. His teacher said he had a wonderful day, but as soon as he saw me he cried. He has been begging to go to St Louis with us. He has even tried to give me all the money in his piggy bank to help pay for a flight. He is really unhappy and in tears off and on during the day.

Matthew is angry when he sees me. His teacher says he is great in class, but as soon as he sees me, he is angry. On Wednesday, he was playing with his buddies afterschool when one of his friends came up to his mom (who was chatting with me) and said "Mommy, Matthew said I am not invited to his birthday party" His mom didn't understand and explained to him that Matthew had a birthday a few months ago and that he had been invited to it.

I knew what was up so I talked to Matthew. His buddy had bumped him accidentally and Matthew, being angry lashed out by saying the kid would not be invited to his next party. He apologized to his friend and the friend's mom smiled and said that is fixed.

I told the moms standing there that I was sorry but Matthew was angry and told them all about St Louis. One of the moms (bless her heart) said when I have an address of where we are staying in St Louis, get it to her and she would organize a weekly care package from his friends to be sent. How sweet is that?

I never like to wish away time but gosh, I wish we could jump ahead 3 weeks.

4 comments:

Sara said...

It sure would be easier to be able to know exactly what is going on in our kid's heads. What they are thinking and why the feel certain ways. I feel for them... it must be confusing. But it is all for the best and I bet they both have their own special adventures that they can share with each other. Good luck Jo-Ann... I hope the time goes quickly for you.

Unknown said...

Big hugs to you Joanne. I know this is tuff on all of you but it will all turn out in the end.

Do you have a web cam? That might be a good way for you and the boys to keep in contact while you are gone.

Hang in there and I too hope time goes quickly for you.

Anonymous said...

I can see what you are saying about the foot on the stairs, but it still just blows my mind how he just does it all anyhow. His body has learned to compensate and function. I know it's really hard for kids to process it all, just as it is on adults. One day my 4yr old was looking at her feet and asked which one was her CF when she was a baby and I told her neither. Well, she was MAD that God didn't give her a clubfoot. Of all things to be jealous of! :)St. Louis will be here before you know it. I just hope I haven't built it up for you so much that you are disappointed, but I really don't think you will be. Dobbs will be honest, yet gentle! :) Jamie

Jo-Ann said...

Jamie that is too funny! Ryan says the same thing, where is my cast? When do I get my operation? Kids sure are sweet. :)

I am amazed every day how he compensates. You should see him on the soccer field. Makes my heart swell with pride! Just you wait, Levi will be the same way. :)